Extracted from an undated document produced by Ruth King for the Trustees of Aslockton Cemetery. Many thanks to Michael Flinton for obtaining a copy.
Gregg Redford – 2008.
Going back to the year 1869 when the land was bought, there was no church or burial ground in Aslockton. The date stone on the church reads 1891. The place of worship was the Methodist chapel (since converted into flats) on Chapel Lane. That would account for the majority of the population being Methodist in those days. In fact as a young child I attended the still flourishing Sunday school and anniversaries followed by lovely teas.
For the purposes of church worship and burial the parishes of Aslockton and Whatton had been joined since the time of the Reformation. To quote the records, ( in beautiful handwriting)
In consequence of an act by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in separating the Parishes of Aslockton and Whatton the inhabitants of the Parish of Aslockton had been prevented from using the Parish churchyard at Whatton. They could as a compensation use the churchyard at Scarrington, but that being a mile distant, a number of the inhabitants and friends turned their attention to the desirability of having a burial ground of their own.
During the time of their anxiety they were greatly encouraged and substantially assisted by the magnificent sum of £50 from Samuel Morley.Esq MP This gave vigour to the movement and subscriptions were thankfully received by the committee – Mr. William Parnham.(Butcher), Mr. George Stevens, Mr. George Monks, Mr. Isaac Morley, Mr. R.Brown, Mr. Henry Stephens and Mr. William’ Carlisle.
By their united effort a piece of land, containing one acre and one rood, was secured and purchased of Mr. Matthew Hall of Flintham, lying near to the village and abutting on the highway between Aslockton and Scarrington. The said piece of land was duly conveyed by legal process into the possession of Trustees for the purposes of a Cemetery for the use of the inhabitants of the Parish of Aslockton and all other persons who from time to time desire to use it.