ASLOCKTON (or Aslacton) is a village and township, in the parish of Whatton, on the north of the river Smte. with a station on the Nottingham and Grantham branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 2 miles east from Bingham, 12 east from Nottingham and 117 from London, in the Newark division of the county, county court district of Nottingham, wapentake, petty
sessional division, union and rural deanery of Bingham, Nottingham archdeaconry and Southwell diocese.
The new church of St. Thomas, built in 1891-2, at a cost of £2,600, by Mrs. Dickinson Hall, of Whatton Manor, in memory of the Kev. T. K. Hall, vicar of Whatton, from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield and Son, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and porch and vestries. The earlier registers are at Whatton, and date from 1538. The living, formerly a chapelry of Whatton, was annexed to the vicarage of Scarrington in 1868, but in 1919 it was again included in the parish of Whatton. Whatton and Aslockton were originally distinct rectories served from Welbeck Abbey, but under an injunction from Edward
VI. the great tithes were confiscated and afterwards bought by Archbishop Cranmer, and Whatton with Aslockton became a vicarage. The present Mission room is said to occupy the site of the old Trinity chapel of Aslockton, and certain fragments of stonework and a doorway are supposed to be remains of the original structure.
The Primitive Methodists have achapel here, and at the north end of the village is a
small cemetery of 1 acre 1 rood, formed in 1873, at a cost of £300; it is under the control of trustees. Mrs. Whyman’s charity of £7 is distributed at Christinas ; there is a charity of 20s. yearly, bequeathed by Mr. J. Marriott in 1816, for distribution in bread on Christmas
day to such poor as attend service, but it has not been distributed of late years on the plea that it is barred by the statute of mortmain.
Dr. Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury, was born here on the 2nd July, 1489 ; the farm house of Mr. William Norman Bissill is built almost on the site of the house which
was long the seat of the Cranmer family; near it is a footpath across the fields called ” Cranmer Walk.”
There were anciently three manors here, but no manorial rights are now exercised. The soil is loam and clay; subsoil, clay and occasionally gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans &c. The area is 1,269 acres of
land and 4 of water; rateable value, £4,996; population in 1921, 358.
Parish Clerk, James Pritchett.
Post & M. 0. Office.George Lebbell Potter, sub-postmaster. etters through Nottingham. Telegraph ffice (for dispatch) at the railway station; nearest or receiving at Whatton, half a mile distant.
The children of this place attend the schools at Scarrington & Whatton
Railway Station, Fred Ward, station master
Bell James, Spinney corner. T N Bingham 412
Bissill William Norman, Cranmer house. T N Bingham 416
Blake Valentine P
Mee George W. The Poplars
Mee John, Oliffholme
Mee Mrs. Elm view
Neal Thomas E
Payling Eobert A. Lane End cott
Pearson Cyrus, Grey house
Stokes Mrs. Rose cottage
Talbot Frank Watson, Belmont
Willson Robert, York house
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Baker Charles & Sons, farmers
Baker George, baker, Mill house
Bates John Freeman, farmer
Bates Thos. Jas. plumber & glazier
Bransby William, farmer
Cemetery (James Pritchett, clerk)
Cottee Annie (Mrs.), carter
Dufrene Frank, nurseryman
Elnor Brothers, farmers, Brocker fru
Fox Arthur, insurance agent
Fryer H. & Sons, automobile & general engineers. T N’s Bingham 414 & 415
Groodwyn George & Thomas, farmers, Aslockton grange
Huckerby Annie (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Johnson Geo.Rt. The Greyhound P.H
Kent Harold, grocer
Keyworth Charlotte (Miss), girls’ schl
Long Gr. I. & Co..Ltd. maltsters
Mee William & Son, coal, corn & cake mers. T N Bingharn 415
Morris Tom, Cramner Arms P.H
Payling W. F. & Son, butchers
Porter Thomas, farmer
Potter George Lebbell, grocer, & post office
j Pritchett James, boot maker
Sharp W. T. & Son, farmers, Abbey farm. T N Bingham 411
Shepperson Charles Henry, saddler
Stokes Frederick T. assistant overseer & clerk to Parish Council
Winter Alfred, farm bailiff to Mrs.
John James Strainer Bichardson, Greenedge farm