Kelly’s Directory 1925 – Whatton

WHATTON (or Whatton-in-the-Vale) is a township and a very pleasant village and pariah, on the river Smite and the Grantham road, half a mile from Aslockton station on the Nottingham and Grantham line of the London and North Eastern railway, 3 miles east from Bingham and 12 south-by-west from Newark, in the Newark division of the county, in the wapentake, union
and petty sessional division of Bingham, county court district of Nottingham, rural deanery of Bingharn, arch doaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. John of Beverley is a spacious edifice of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel,
nave, aisles, north and south porches and a central embattled tower with spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, dated respectively 1618, 1618, 1618, 1618 and 1590; the clock was made in 1683 by Richard Roe: a monument in the church, representing a priest simply dressed in a cassock, is believed to be that of Friar Robert de Whatton, vicar of this parish 1304-1310; in the north chapel is the altar-tomb with recumbent effigy of a knight in full armour, of Sir Richard Whatton, who was Commissioner of Array for Notts in 1316: there are other momuments to the families of Whatton (1190), Newmarch and Cranmer, one of the latter, to Thomas Cranmer, father of Archbishop Cranmer, bearing date 1501: the font is dated 1662: in the church are some remains of an ancient cross found in 1877, in the parish of Aslockton, close by: the east window is stained and there are memorial windows to W. and K. Harrison
(1865); to Thomas Dickinson Hall esq. (d. 1879); to a son and daughter of John Innocent esq. (1889); to the father and mother of G. F. Inman esq. (1891); the Rev. T. K. Hall, vicar 1876-86; Capt, Cecil H Hall, Mrs. Dickinson Hall, Mrs. Cecil Hall and Mr. and Mrs. Innocent: the nave and tower were rebuilt in 1870-1,under the supervision of the Rev. T. Butler, rector of Langar: there are 350 sittings. The register dates from 1538 for all entries and is in good condition with the exception of the period 1597-1662, the whole of which, saving three burials in 1597, is lost. The living is a vicarage, with that of Aslockton annexed from 1919,
joint net yearly value £482, including 72 acres of glebe, with residence, in the alternate gift of Samuel Ernest Chestermau esq. and the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Eric Yelverton Dawson M.A. of Keble College, Oxford. There is a Wesleyan
chapel here, erected in 1846.
The charities comprise the Poor’s Close of one acre, the proceeds of which are distributed yearly in coal to poor widows; £12, left by John Clayter in 1738 and now invested at 21/2 per
cent, and Miss Bower’s gift, being the interest upon £200 left in 1892. The soil is chiefly loam with clay in parts; subsoil, clay. Tho chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, barley and roots. The area is 1,754 acres of land and 5 of water; rateable value, £4,224; population
in 1921 was 264.

Parish Clerk, James Pritchett.
Post, M. 0. & T. Office.—Mrs. Mary J. Pride, subpostmistress.
Letters through Nottingham
Public Elementary School (mixed), erected in 1866, for
75 children ; Mrs. Caroline M. Pitman, mistress
Carrier, Arthur Tyler, to Kewark, wed. & Nottingham,
Buxton John, Whipling house
Chesterman Samuel Ernest, Manor ho
Dawson Rev. Erie Telverton M.A.(vicar), The Vicarage
Deverill Misses
Fry William Seager, The Grange
Hall Alfred Thomas, Karori
Knight Herbert, The Cottage
Long George Innocent J.P
Norris Frank Peet. T N Bingham 417
Olivant William Henry
Button Cecil Alfred Leonard
Walls Mrs

J Baker Walter, cowkeeper
Brown George H. farmer, Hill farm
Buxton George, blacksmith
Buxton Stanley, farmer, Whipling ho
Goulding Herbert Mark Gibson,
farmer, Lodge farm
Greasley Eleanor (Mrs.), carpenter
Huckerby George, gardener to Wm. Seager Fry esq
Lamin Wm. Jas. farmr. Manor farm
Long George Innocent, jun. miller;(wind)
Pride Mary Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper,Post office
Pride Percival Hugh, butcher
Pritchett Geo. Arth. chimney sweep
Sears John, head gardener to Samuel Ernest Chesterman esq
Summerfield Wm.marine store dealer
Swallow Eustace Claude, farmer
Swingler William, farmer, & Griffin’s Head P.H. & refreshment rooms ; parties catered for
Talbott H. Watson M.R.C.V.S.L. veterinary surgeon
Tyler Arthur, carrier & shopkeeper
Walker Richard Arthur, farmer
Walker Thirlby William, farmer