History and description
ASLOCKTON (or Aslacton) is a village and township, in the ecclesiastical parish of Whatton, on the north of the river Smite, with a station on the Nottingham and Grantham branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 2.5 miles east from Bingham, 12 east from Nottingham and 117 from London, in the Newark division of the county, county court district of Nottingham, wapentake, petty sessional division, rural district and rural deanery of Bingham, Nottingham archdeaconry and Southwell diocese.
The church of St. Thomas, built in 1891-2 by Mrs. Dickinson Hall, of Whatton Manor, in memory of the Rev. T. H. Hall, vicar of Whatton, is an edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle and porch and vestries.
The earlier registers are at Whatton, and date from 1538. The living, formerly a chapelry of Whatton, was annexed to the vicarage of Scarrington in 1868, but in 1919 it was again included in the ecclesiastical parish of Whatton. Whatton and Aslockton were originally distinct rectories served from Welbeck Abbey, but under an injunction from Edward VI the great tithes were confiscated and afterwards bought by Archbishop Cranmer, and Whatton with Aslockton became a vicarage.
The Mission room is said to occupy the site of the old Trinity chapel of Aslockton, and certain fragments of stonework and a doorway are supposed to be remains of the original structure.
The Methodists have a chapel here, and at the north end of the village is a small cemetery of 1 acre 1 rood, formed in 1873. There is charity of 20s yearly, bequeathed by Mr. J. Marriott in 1806, for distribution in bread on Christmas day to such poor as attend the service.
Dr. Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of –Canterbury, was born here on the 2nd July, 1489; the house occupied by Mrs. Bissill is built almost on the site of the house which was long the seat of the Cranmer family; near it is a footpath across the fields called “Cranmer Walk.”
There were anciently three manors here, but no manorial rights are now exercised. The ownership of the land is divided. Gas and electricity are available. Water is supplied by the Nottingham Corporation. The soil is foam and clay; subsoil, clay and occasionally gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans &o. The area is 1,269 acres of land and 4 of water ; population in 1934 363•
Post & M. O. Office.
Letters through Nottingham Railway Station
(For TN’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)[i]
Bissill Mrs. Cranmer house
Fryer Francis William
Gothard Miles, Cliffholme
Granger Paul Eras. Spinney Corner
Neal Thomas E
Short Thomas Henry, The Hall
Marked thus ° farm 130 acres or over,
Baker Fredk. Regnld. haulage contractor. Whatton 220
Baker Geo. C. baker, Mill ha. Whatton 200
Baker Jesse Edwd. farmer
Bates Harry, plumber & glazier
Baxter Seml. Albt. butcher. Whatton 203
Bissell Wm. Rippon, racehorse trainer, Cranmer ho. Whatton 226
Cranmer Arms P.H. (Dennison Widdison)
°Crawford Hardy, farmer, Aslockton abbey. Whatton 238
Danson Sidney Hy. poultry farmer
Fox Arth. poultry farmer, Acacia ho
Fryer Francis William, wireless dealer & engineer, automobile engineer & battery charging station. Whatton 208
Greyhound Inn (Geo. Norgate)
Kent Harold, baker. Whatton 253 May Lizzie (Mrss.), poultry farmer Mee Wm. Son, coal more. Whatton 209
Payling W. F. & Son, butchers. Whatton 207
Porter & Sons, farmers
Potter G. L. & Sons, grocers, & Post office
Pritchett Jas. boot rep
Russell Minnie (Mrs.), grocer
Stokes Fredk. T. crop reporter to the Ministry of Agriculture & clerk to Parish Council, Sherwood ho
Swallow Eustace C. farmer
Wallace Edith Emily (Miss), district nurse, Scarrington la. Whatton 203
Watts Ethel (Miss), draper
Winter Alfd. farm bailiff to J. J. S. Richardson esq. Greenedge farm. Whatton 215
History and description
WHATTON (or Whatton-in-the-Vale) is a township and a very pleasant village and parish, on the river Smite and the Grantham road, half a mile from Aslockton station on the Nottingham and Grantham line of the London and North Eastern railway, 2.75 miles east from Bingham and 12 south-by-west from Newark, in the Newark division of the county, wapentake, rural district and petty sessional division of Bingham, county court distriot of Nottingham, rural deanery of Bingham, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell.
The church of St. John of Beverley is a spacious edifice of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave,aisles, north and south porches and a central embattled tower, with spire, containing a clock and 6 bells, 4 dated 1618, and one 1590 ; the clock was made in 1683 by Richard Roe: a monument in the church, representing a priest dressed in a cassock, is believed to be that of Robert de Whatton, vicar of this parish 1304-1310; in the north chapel is the alter-tomb with recumbent effigy of a knight in full armour, of Sir Richard Whatton, who was Commissioner of Array for Notts in 1316: there are other monuments to Newmarch and Cranmer, one of the latter, to Thomas Cranmer, father of Archbishop Cranmer, bearing date 1501 : the font is dated 1662: in the church are some remains of an ancient cross found in 1877, in the parish of Aslockton, close by: the east window is stained and there are memorial windows to W. and E. Harrison (1865) ; to Thomas Dickinson Hall esq. (d. 1879); to a son and daughter of John Innocent esq. 1889); to the father and mother of G. F. Inman esq. (1891); the Rev. T. K. Hall, vicar 1876-86; Capt. Cecil H. Hall, Mrs. Dickinson Hall, Mrs. Cecil Hall and Mr. and Mrs. Innocent: the nave and tower were rebuilt in 1870-1, under the supervision of the Rev. T. Butler, rector of Langer: there arc 350 sittings. The register dates from 1538 for all entries and is in goodcondition with the exception of the period 1597 to 1662, the whole of which, saving three burials in 1597, is lost. The living is a vicarage, with that of Aslockton annexed from 1919, joint net yearly value £410, including 50 acres of glebe, with residence, in the alternate gift of William Goodacre Player esq, and the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln, and held since 1917 by the Rev. Eric Yelverton Dawson. M.A. of Keble College, Oxford.
There is a Methodist chapel here, erected in 1846.
A village hall was built in 1936, the gift of W. G. Player esq.
There is a charity which provides coals to poor widows once yearly ; £12, left by John Clayton in 1738 and now invested at 2.5 per cent. and Miss Bower’s gift, being the interest upon ,£200 left in 1892.
The principal landowners are William Goodacre Player esq. and Messrs. W. F. Payling & Sons, J. Buxton and H. M. G. Goulding. Electricity is available. Water is supplied by the Nottingham Corporation. The soil is chiefly loam with clay in parts; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans, barley and roots. The area is 1,754 acres of land and 5 of water ; the population in 1935 was 327.
Post, M. O. & T. Office. Letters through Nottingham
Carrier, Arthur Tyler, to Newark, wed. 8a Nottingham, sat
(For TN’s see general list of Private Residents at end of book.)[iii]
Buxton John, Whipling house
Buxton Stanley J., Elmcote
Buxton William, Wayside
Dawson Rev. Eric Yelverton M.A. (vicar), The Vicarage
Fisher Miss, The Grange
Heazell Edward H. Manor lane
Knight Herbert, The Cottage
Player William Goodacre, Whatton manor
Sutton Cecil Alfred Leonard
Taylor Harold Arthur, Lindum house
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.
Ablewhite Chas. farmer, Whatton Fields farm
Buxton Geo. cowkeeper
Buxton Stanley Jn. farmer, Whipling farm. Bingham 214
°Crawford Roy Argyle, farmer, Vicars Croft farm, T N 245
°Goulding Herbt. Mark Gibson & Alfd. Jas. farmers, The Gables & Lodge farms
Greasley Bros. carpntrs
Greasley Daisy Eliz. (Mrs.), shopkpr
Griffin’s Head P.H. (Wm. Swingler). T N 214
Little Thos. E. boot repr
Matthews Ernest Fredk, poultry farmer. TN 278
°Mitchell A. & A. G. farmers, Hill frm
°Mitchell Jsph. farmer, The Hollies
°Payling W. F. & Sons, farmers,Manor farm
Pride Percvl. Hugh, butcher. T N 225
Richardson Edwd. Percy, cattle cake dlr. T N 26o
Roberts Fredk. gardener to W. G. Player esq
°Skerritt Thos. farm bailiff to Wm. Goodacre Player esq. Manor farm
Slater Jn. Thos. boot repr
Summerfield Ellen Grey (Mrs.), shopkpr
Swingler William, farmer, & Griffin’s Head P.H. 8a refreshment rooms; parties catered for. TN 214
Tyler Arth. carricr. T N 251
[i] Telephone numbers not included in this Transcript
[ii] Telephone numbers are included for Commercial listings
[iii] Telephone numbers not included in this Transcript
Transcribed by GR Redford in 2013